Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Jewels

Tonight we had a girls night out. And in honor of the Royal Wedding, it was themed. To be honest, I didn't even know about this wedding until I got the invite for the party. Maybe I should watch the news more often. Nah.

We had such a fun time getting all dressed up in our fancy headbands, hats, and ginormous rocks on our fingers.


We enjoyed tasty treats and even a wedding cake for dessert.


But the real reason for the get together was to buy some jewelry to support Florence and Ayiko.


A friend of mine met this mother and son while on the mission field in Uganda, Africa. It is such a sweet story about how the boy and Alissa became best buds. When Florence realized Alissa was not the same age as her boy, she just had to meet this girl. Even though Alissa is now back in the states, they are still dear friends and she continues to help Florence. Here is her story:

"Florence Kamure is a single mom from northwestern Uganda. In February 2010, she was unemployed and she and her son Ayiko, were homeless. In June of 2010, she began creating and selling paper bead jewelry. Since then, the proceeds from her jewelry sales have provided for Ayiko's school fees and allowed Florence to purchase a plot of land where she hopes to build a home soon."

Last summer a friend (GC) went on a short term trip to see Alissa. When she came home, she brought a sampling of these paper bead necklaces. For only a few dollars, I snatched one up. I LOVE it and wear it all the time. And the best part is knowing that a mom worked so hard making it to provide for her child.


When my friend Rhonda invited me to a party at her house to browse though necklaces for Florence, I was all in! There were boxes and boxes of necklaces, bracelets, and earrings.


We shopped and shopped. It was so fun trying on all the different styles she is now making and the fun colors.


In just a few short hours, Florence made a little over $700!! Praise the Lord! I cannot wait to see exactly how the Lord will use this money for her family!

And we couldn't let the evening pass without a group shot!

If you are interested in hosting a party in your home or want to buy some jewelry for yourself or a gift, please let me know and I will send along Alissa's contact info.

4 comments:

HRH Duchess of Wallingford said...

I love what a fun night it was out for such a good cause. I love being able to use my beads as a way to share Frances' story.
The pics make me laugh cause it really does look like my something crazy on my head! HA
FUN TIMES FOR SURE!

Mom said...

What a fun party for such a worthy cause. I also had no intention of watching the wedding, but just happened to awake EARLY and caught the whole time. It was really very pretty.

Caroline said...

Hmmm... I'm a little worried! I am going to one of these parties tomorrow night. Y'all didn't get all the good ones did you!?!?!!?:)

Bec said...

Please send me Alissa's contact information. Thanks for the opportunity to help this precious mother.