Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Big 10

And I do not mean college sports.

Happy 10th Anniversary to us!

There are days it seems like we have been together for ten years because I do not remember life post high school without JD. But then there are days when our love is so fresh it seems we have just been together for a short period of time.

I love that it has been ten years with the same man...the love of my life. He is a rock in my life. Keeps me in check with reality. Loves me when I am unlovable. Father to my children. Spiritual leader. Makes me laugh (did you see Sporty Wee? How could you not laugh?) Servant.

Has life together been perfect? Of course not. We have had our fair share of disagreements. But probably the biggest thing I have learned throughout our 10 years is communication. If something is bothering me--talk it out. If I see something I really like him doing--tell him. Many of the issues we have had over the years could have easily been blown way out of perspective, but in learning to talk it out and deal with it then and there has solved our problems. Talking and handing it over to the Lord.

I have also learned it is not all about me. I know, I know. Shocker. But it is about what I can do to serve him and make him desire to be at home with me. How can I make my home a place of refuge for him? I am still learning this one. But it is my heart's desire to make my home a place of warmth and love, not only for my family, but for anyone who walks through the door. I want Christ to radiate throughout.

Enough sap.

Our plan for our 10th was to go on a second honeymoon. Ten years ago we headed to the Poconos (you know the champagne tub in all the wedding magazines--yup, that's the one). We enjoyed horseback riding, snow, a day trip to NYC to eat at Windows on the World (located in the WTC North Tower) and watch Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. It was a great trip away. You can read all about our honeymoon HERE. But this time around, we wanted the beach. So that was our plan. Travel to some turquoise colored water, white sand beach, staying in a hut on top of the water. Oh, those trips aren't free are they?

Instead, my parents flew in for the weekend (more to come on that). Friday night we were able to go out to dinner, walk and talk, eat a dessert (or two) and enjoy our time together. No rushing due to FREE babysitting!!

For all the big milestone anniversaries I have had babies. So maybe we can plan to get away for our 15th. Maybe.

Here's to taking a step back in time...


Keepin' It Real: About 2 hours after I typed up this post, Satan hit our house hard. As in we had the biggest knock down, drag out we have had in a while. It ended with us giving each other the silent treatment for a bit. Then we finally talked it out, getting all our feelings out into the open. And yes, the number one problem that was discovered--we were both focused on ourselves. Awesome. At least we have moved on and are communicating and thinking of the other person again. I love forgiveness!

3 comments:

Mom said...

It's hard to believe it has been 10years. It seems just like yesterday your dad and I were celebrating OUR 10th....we so enjoyed being able to babysit for your evening out. It was a treat for us.

Jennifer Gilbert Settle said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Jessica said...

Congrats on 10yrs!