Monday, February 28, 2011

Chips and Salsa

I am Texan. And I LOVE me some good salsa. I think 7 years ago I called it hot sauce. You Southerners are rubbing off on me a bit. But not on what kind of salsa I like. I like it warm to hot. Not this mild tomato sauce you call salsa. Typically, restaurants are good for me. They have enough flavor and warmth. But the store is a totally different situation. Great Value and Pace are just about the only two choices. And I do not like either. That is when my journey to find the perfect recipe began. And today, I have found it!

Someone suggested the Pioneer Woman's recipe. I tried it, still without enough flavor. I tweaked it to my liking and this is what I came up with:

1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes with juice
2 cans (10 oz) Rotel (one mild, one original)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup cilantro
juice of whole lime


Combine all into blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed. Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips.

3 comments:

w and js mommy said...

thanks we will take ours by the end of the week--are you making the chips too??

Outnumbered! said...

Yum!!! You should sell it! I'd buy a jar. ;)

Mom said...

Sounds really good, it is similar to our Field Street recipe. I may go home and try me a recipe!!