Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sopapillas

Oh how I love me some Mexican food! Just the other night I was craving Jose's. Random. I know. But there were some good memories eating there after church on Sunday nights.

On one Bible study night I decided to give into my cravings and make Mexican for dinner. And then I decided I wanted to make REAL sopapillas for dessert. Some of the restaurants around here think a fried flour tortilla is a sopapilla. It's not.

I found this recipe online. It is so easy and they are the sopapillas I like. Fluffy and full of air. Dipped in cinnamon and sugar and honey on top. Yum!

Real Sopapillas

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 quarts oil for frying (or about 3/4-1 inch deep in your skillet)

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Stir in water; mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Roll out on floured board until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees (or medium high-ish). Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

FYI--I cut the recipe in half. The above amounts make 24 sopapillas. And like I said, I dipped mine in a cinnamon sugar mix straight out of the pan.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Yum- that does look good! The best Mexican food we can find up here in PA is from our kitchen! This would be a special treat.

Sally said...

Ah! Joses`.....those were good ole days. We have some other good Mexican restaurants in town, but the fellowship on Sunday nights was the BEST. Sopapillas look really good. I may have to try them......in fact, I am going to show our church hostess how to make Cinnamon Crisp (that is the flour tortilla that is quartered, deep fried and rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mixture).